Thursday, June 7, 2012

Cleansing Diet

This is a medical diet provided from my naturopath.  I am testing for food allergies.



 FOOD GROUP
ALLOWED
AVOID
Meat, Fish, Poultry, Legumes, Eggs
Chicken, Turkey, Lamb, Wild Meats, All Legumes, Dried Peas, Lentils, Cold-Water Fish like Salmon, Halibut, Mackrel, Trout

Beef, Cold Cuts, Franfurter, Pork, Sausage, Canned Meat, Eggs, Egg Substitutes
Dairy Products
Milk Substitutes like Soy, Almond, or Rice Milks
Milk, Cheese, Cottage Cheese, Yogurt, Ice Cream, Cream, Non-Dairy Creamers

Starch
White/Sweet Potato, Yams, Arrowroot, Rice, Tapioca, Buckwheat, Millet, Gluten-Free Products

All Gluten Containing products
Bread/Cereal
Any made from Rice, Quinoa, Amaranth, Teff, Millet, Buckwheat, Soy, Potato, Tapioca, Arrowroot, or Gluten-Free Products

All made from Wheat, Rye, Barley, Oats, Kamut, Spelt
Vegetables
All Vegetables
Made with foods to be avoided, or in a cream sauce

Fruits
All Fruits
Fruit drinks, -ades, Cocktails, Oranges, Grapefruit, Strawberries, Bananas, Dried Fruit preserved with Sulfites or Sorbates

Soup
Clear, Vegetable-Broth, Homemade Vegetarian Soup, Chili made with Ground Poultry

Canned or Cream Soups. Any made from Gluten Containing Grains and Flours
Beverages
Water (spring or filtered), Herbal Tea, Freshly Prepared or Unsweetened Diluted Fruit or Vegetable Juices

Milk, Dairy-Containing Products, Coffee, Tea, Cocoa, Postum, Pop, Sweetened Drinks, Citrus Drinks, Alcohol
Fats/Oils
Cold, Expeller-pressed, Unrefined, Flax, Olive, Sesame, Pumpkin, and Walnut Oils, Coconut Butter, Salad Dressings made from those foods

Margarine, Shortening, Lard, Butter, Refined Oils, Salad Dressings, Spreads
Nuts/Seeds
Almond, Brazil, Filberts, Cashews, Flax Seed, Pecans, Pine, Pumpkin, Sesame, Squash, Sunflower, Walnuts, Nut/Seed Butters from these

Peanuts, Pistachios, Peanut Butter
Sweeteners
Agave Nectar, Brown Rice Syrup, Fruit Sweeteners, Organic Blackstrap Molases, Stevia
Brown Sugar, Honey, Molasses, Maple Syrup, Corn Syrup, Fructose, Sugar

Needless to say, the list of what I can have is so much easier than the list of what I can't have.  I am supposed to be on this strict diet for 21 days to cleanse my system.  Then I can start the testing by introducing one food - eating a little bit with each meal that day.  Then back on the cleansing diet for the next 3 days, the whole time tracking any effects the food might be having on me.  If on the morning of the fourth day I still have no reaction, I can test with the next food I want to re-introduce.  

So basically, I'll be on this for at least a couple of months.  Realistically, I should view this as a lifestyle change, and when all is said and done, I can "add" some foods to this list.  

Yesterday, I was 9 days into this diet.  For reasons I won't go into here, I went off last night.  I made a conscious decision to do this, knowing that today I will be restaring my diet countdown from day 1.  At least this time it will be easier.  I won't be going through the severe headaches and pains I was in for the first 3 days like last time.  It was bad.

So for the next few months, I'll be on this journey.  And blogging here to help me track my moods and any side effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment